on July 28, 2011
1) Romance readers have some serious depth. I spent several emails with one fan about the philosophy of good vs. evil and whether the Kurjans even had a chance to be good. Loved it!
2) Any jackass can leave a review on goodreads or amazon. My favorite was the gal who sent people to buy her book instead. Classy.
3) Readers like the heartwarming stuff…even in a sexy book. I’ve had more comments about how cute the big, bad, vamps are with little Janie.
4) People who tell you the ‘sex is too much’ in book one…have already preordered book 2. Yeah. You know who you are. 🙂
5) If someone tells me how wonderful the “world building” was…the sex may have been too much for them.
6) Getting stressed about aspiring authors dropping your name to your editor or agent is just silly…they’re used to it.
7) It’s a high-low profession. One day a national magazine recommends your
book…the next day another national magazine doesn’t like your characters. Keep it steady by remembering…it’s all about the story. Forget the rest.
8) Promotion and social media are a must. But writing the story should always come first.
9) Your editor is on your side—completely. Anyone who thinks it’s a battle between the author and the editor…probably doesn’t have an editor yet.
10) It’s okay to say ‘no’…even if you’re a nice person and really do want to help people. Unfortunately, there’s only so much time in the day, and hopefully you have a life too. Protect that.